[OS X Emacs] Rendering Devanagari (Unicode) correctly?

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Dec 19 22:36:25 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 01:40:32AM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 19.12.2011 um 04:04 schrieb Richard Cobbe:
>
> > What do I need to do in order to render Devanagari text correctly in Emacs
> > on OS X?
>
> I'd recommended to use the coming version 24 of GNU Emacs.

Sounds great -- I hope to have some free time coming up over the holidays
to try exploring that.

> This screen-shot shows your file in three variants of almost the same code basis:

Of the three, only the right-hand one is correct.

> Left is the X client. It is built with MacPorts, so it does not use m17n-flt which supports complex Asian type layout.
> In the middle you can see the NS variant, which is closely related to Aquamacs. It uses a lot of Mac OS X and does not need X11.
> Right is the "AppKit" variant of GNU Emacs 23.3a (which is effectively 23.3b). This one is a native Mac OS X/Aqua client as well.

I'm a little bit confused by these descriptions -- the wonderful thing
about emacs on OS X is how many variants there are to choose from.  I did a
little googling, and it sounds like the easiest way for me to start playing
with Emacs 24 is to install one of the pretest builds from
<http://emacsformacosx.com/builds>.  Will that be the AppKit variant?  Or,
since you may not be familiar with the builds in question: once I've
installed it, how do I determine which variant it is?  I know how to tell
an X client from a "native" OS X app, but not how to tell the NS and AppKit
variants apart.

Thanks very much for your response,

Richard