[OS X Emacs] Rendering Devanagari (Unicode) correctly?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 02:57:58 EST 2011

On Dec 20, 2011, at 4:36 AM, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> I'm a little bit confused by these descriptions -- the wonderful thing
> about emacs on OS X is how many variants there are to choose from.  I did a
> little googling, and it sounds like the easiest way for me to start playing
> with Emacs 24 is to install one of the pretest builds from
> <http://emacsformacosx.com/builds>.  Will that be the AppKit variant?

No, that's the NS variant of Emacs 24.  For the AppKit version,  you need to follow Yamamoto Mitsuharu's posts to emacs-devel and apply his patches, then compile yourself.

You can get an Aquamacs based on Emacs 24 here:

http://aquamacs.org/nightlies.shtml

(choose the 3.x version).  This will have bidi etc., but it won't be based on AppKit.

Note that the AppKit is technically more backwards-looking in the sense that it uses, in part, the old Carbon APIs.  However, the person behind it is a superb coder and has been involved with Emacs on the Mac for a long time.