[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.1 and Latex toolbar

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Feb 10 15:11:52 EST 2011

Caroline,

I had some similar problems changing over, and also because I typically
do NOT like the toolbar --- I can cut and paste perfectly well from the
keyboard, thank you very much.  OTOH, I have never gotten the hang of
the latex commands.  So I did the following in my emacs initialization.
 It's actually a bit more tricky than one might like, because whether or
not you want the tool bar is (IMO) a function of the current BUFFER, but
the toolbar is a function of the FRAME.  Hence the somewhat convoluted
structure below...

Hope this helps.

;;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
;;; Controlling the tool bar
;;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(tool-bar-mode 0)                       ;in general, we want it /off/
(defun add-tool-bar-to-selected-frame ()
  "Sometimes we'd like the toolbar only on specific frames."
  (interactive)
  (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) '((tool-bar-lines . 1)))
  (run-hooks 'tool-bar-mode-on-hook)
  )
(defun remove-tool-bar-from-selected-frame ()
  "Sometimes we'd like the toolbar only on specific frames."
  (interactive)
  (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) '((tool-bar-lines . 0))))
(defun latex-frame-p ()
  "Is this frame one that's displaying a buffer in latex mode?"
  (eq
   (buffer-local-value 'major-mode
                       (window-buffer (frame-selected-window
(selected-frame))))
   'latex-mode))
(defun add-tool-bar-to-latex-frames ()
  (if (latex-frame-p)
      (add-tool-bar-to-selected-frame)
      (remove-tool-bar-from-selected-frame)))
(add-hook 'window-configuration-change-hook
          'add-tool-bar-to-latex-frames)