[OS X Emacs] emacsclient with aquamacs: error opening socket

Olivier Marti olivier.marti at lsce.ipsl.fr
Thu Jan 6 04:35:59 EST 2011

Le 5 janv. 2011 à 20:23, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) a écrit :

> I'm trying to use Aquamacs as an emacs server on MacOS 10.6, but when I invoke it I get this error:
>
> emacsclient: error accessing server file "/Users/oz/.emacs.d/server"
>
> That file is a socket, and appears to match what the server is creating (if I delete it and then launch Aquamacs or run server-start in a running Aquamacs, it reappears).
>
> I have run the install of command line tools, and the emacsclient I'm running is the one that it put into /usr/bin
>
> Suggestions on how to debug this?

With Aquamacs 2.1, I had some problem with the socket file. I've solved them by launching emacsclient with the following commands:

/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient \
--socket-name=/private/var/folders/BX/BXoNWrPNEBC3BlOf6RYMbE+++TI/-Tmp-/emacs501/server --no-wait

or

export TMPDIR=/private/var/folders/BX/BXoNWrPNEBC3BlOf6RYMbE+++TI/-Tmp-/ ; /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient --no-wait

You need to find the location of your TMPDIR used by the emacs server, and use it. The name is a constant, even after a reboot.

Olivier

Dr. Olivier Marti  - mailto:olivier.marti at lsce.ipsl.fr
Institut Pierre Simon Laplace
Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ  -  UMR 8212
Tel : +33 1 69 08 77 27 - Mob : +33 6 45 36 43 74
Fax: +33 1 69 08 30 73
<http://www.lsce.ipsl.fr/Pisp/56/olivier.marti.html>