[OS X Emacs] emacsclient with aquamacs: error opening socket

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Thu Jan 6 07:08:37 EST 2011

On 2011-01-06 4:35, Olivier Marti wrote:

> With Aquamacs 2.1, I had some problem with the socket file. I've solved them by launching emacsclient with the following commands:
>
> /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient \
> --socket-name=/private/var/folders/BX/BXoNWrPNEBC3BlOf6RYMbE+++TI/-Tmp-/emacs501/server --no-wait
>
> or
>
> export TMPDIR=/private/var/folders/BX/BXoNWrPNEBC3BlOf6RYMbE+++TI/-Tmp-/ ; /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient --no-wait
>
> You need to find the location of your TMPDIR used by the emacs server, and use it. The name is a constant, even after a reboot.

Thank you - that did it.

The error message that emacsclient prints is just incorrect about which
socket it's looking for.  Oddly, the one it complains about is created,
but so is $TMPDIR/emacs502/server , and the latter works.

A simple shell script wrapper to provide that argument, and I'm in business!