[OS X Emacs] latex-aquamacs-greek characters

Marinos Koutsomichalis marinos at agxivatein.com
Mon Jan 17 04:53:29 EST 2011

Maybe this is a bit out of topic

but if anyone could help this would be appreciated

I found and downloaded this package: http://www.eelvex.net/latex-auto-greek/

is is supposed to deliver auto-greek support on latex, since it' s intended for use with freeBSD I tried to manually install it

I did these:

copied them in :
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/afm/auto-greek - for *.afm files
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/auto-greek - for *.tfm files
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/auto-greek - for *.pfb files
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map - for *.map
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/latex/auto-greek - for *.fd

and in a terminal :
sudo texhash
sudo updmap  -enable Map=greek.map
sudo fmtutil  -byfmt latex
sudo fmtutil  -byfmt pdflatex

On a Mac os X 10.6.5 running Aquamacs

then while trying to pdfLatex-ing this:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{auto-greek}

\def\tit{ Βιογραφικό Σημείωμα}
\def\name{Μαρίνος Κουτσομιχάλης dsdsa das dsa dasdsa}
\begin{document}
{\huge \name} \\
{\huge \tit}
\section*{ Στοιχεία Επικοινωνίας}
\begin{itemize}
\item δκσαξηδσκαξηδκασξ  dasdjhaskjdhaskjdhask
\end{itemize}
\end{document}

I only get the latin characters.. I tried various encoding options including iso-8859-7 (both unix,mac and plain) & utf-8 but nothing works..
any ideas or any other way to have this sort of automatic typing in latex ??

thx