[OS X Emacs] making auctex less "helpful"

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Thu May 19 14:18:44 EDT 2011

Hi.

I find that AUCTeX is sometimes overly-helpful.

(1) AUCTeX is happy to expand the beginning of a TeX control sequence.  In particular, it often tries to insert "\left" when I type "\le".
(2) AUCTeX does some funny things with some special characters.  For example: When I type a tie followed by a dollar sign (as in "the variable~$x$"), the "~$" is replaced by "£" (a pound sign).  Another example: If I type $x^2$, it becomes $x²$, which typesets as a math "x", with the exponent entirely missing.

More on point (2): This only happens when using AUCTeX in Aquamacs, and not under GNU Emacs in Linux.  There are other such "smart" behaviors that I do like, such as the handling of quotes.  I guess that

Any suggestions on how to disable such things?  Thanks.

Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
Internet: agw STRUDEL comcast.net