[OS X Emacs] making auctex less "helpful"

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Thu May 19 17:21:02 EDT 2011

Hi.

On May 19, 2011, at 4:55 PM, José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill wrote:

> You can try M-x toggle-input-method, which is usually bound to C-\ .  That, of course, only toggles it -- the assumption being that it's on.

Looking in the docs for toggle-input-method, I discovered a variable named default-input-method.  I set that to nil (via Customizations).  Restarting Aquamacs, I found that this kept Aquamacs from being so "helpful".  However, I then noticed that some other things didn't work right, e.g., tab completion in the minibuffer wound up minimizing the current window.  So I went back to the customizations.el file and commented out the line
 '(default-input-method nil)
within custom-set-variables, and restarted.

Oddly enough, although the current default-input-method is still latin-1-prefix, Aquamacs is no longer being "helpful" WRT the special chars.  I have no explanation for this.

Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
Internet: agw STRUDEL comcast.net