[OS X Emacs] desktop-save doesn't save tabs?

Tom McCormick Tom.McCormick at sauder.ubc.ca
Tue Nov 15 04:48:12 EST 2011

David:

>> I've become addicted to using tabs, but find it annoying that desktop-save does not restore my carefully tended tabs when I restart and so I have to tediously re-create them.  Is there some trick to this that I am missing?
> I've just tried this out and found that I could restore tabs just fine, although I had to call `desktop-read' giving the path of the directory where I had stored the desktop file.  The interface to this desktop package seems impractical at best.
>
> To restore with `desktop-read', I think that `desktop-save' would have to save the desktop file to "~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs".
>
> `desktop-save-mode', enabled via the customization option of that name, seems to do what is advertised.
>
> I'll make this available as menu items along with support for Lion's application restore functionality.

Thank you for following up on this.  However, I'm feeling dumb, in that
I'm not sure from your email what I need to do to be able to
save/restore tabs (I'm not good at diving into the internal lisp of
emacs).  Is the bottom line that I should just wait for you to make the
required update to Aquamacs?

--
-Tom McCormick, WJ Van Dusen Professor of Management
  Operations and Logistics Division, Sauder School of Business, UBC