[OS X Emacs] use system input source shortcut in Aquamacs

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:58:23 EST 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Max Arnold wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:15:21AM -0500, David Reitter wrote:
>> I suggest you simply write a function that switches the Emacs input language, and also executes the changeInput program
>
> Is it possible to bind this function to OS X default system-wide shortcut (Command-Space for example)?

Well, anything is possible, it just depends on the level of involvement you're willing to accept.

From Emacs Lisp, you can't set a system-wide shortcut.  You'd have to do that with another application, such as Butler.
This application would have to communicate with Aquamacs.  The "emacsclient" program is a reliable way to go.  (I'm not sure if we have the machinery to accept input via AppleScript).

> Or even better, use CapsLock as language switcher in any OS X application including Aquamacs?

I don't think so, but perhaps there are tools out there.  The power of Caps Lock is difficult to harness due to a lack of API-level support from Apple.

Generally, I don't think it's an Aquamacs problem, as Aquamacs accepts input via the Mac's keyboard layout.  We're actually emphasizing these input methods rather than the Emacs-specific ones.