[OS X Emacs] German quotes in Aquamacs 2.4

Jürgen Fenn schneeschmelze at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:25:26 EST 2012

Am 4. Januar 2012 20:03 schrieb David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com>:

>> as my Carbon Emacs is sadly getting more and more out of date, I am
>> testing Aquamacs 2.4 on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Localisation is German. To make
>> i clear, I do not like it that Aquamacs attempts to provide an Apple
>> user interface as I prefer to have the same interface on all platforms I
>> use Emacs on.
>
> Well, your preference is perfectly understandable, but prefacing your message this way is perhaps not a wise way to solicit help for Aquamacs, to put it bluntly.
>
> You may be interested in this set of settings that make Aquamacs more Emacs-like:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings

David, thanks for the hint, I will give it a try later.

I perfectly understand what you are trying with Aquamacs, but what it
lacks most is a simple switch in the options menu where you can click
on "go back to standard Emacs behaviour". Could you please introduce
this switch? I think it would be greatly appreciated by many users.

>> With a German keyboard layout, German quotes are input as shown above by
>> typing option-^ and option-2. In Aquamacs, though, only left German
>> quotes work, as option-2 is used otherwise.
>
> You can either use standard Mac key commands and turn off Option is Meta, or you can have only the right-hand option key as meta and use the left one to enter those.
>
> Also, we can add Option-2 to `emulate-mac-keyboard-mode-maps` (can't easily do that at runtime, however, look at the emulate-mac-keyboard-mode source file if you like to do it).  The change is quite simple (see the patch below).
>
> You can find these modes in Options/Option,Command,Meta keys.  Choose "Meta & German" in that case.

Sorry I forgot to say that I had already switched to "Option & German"
and "Right option is Meta", to no avail.

Where can I find emulate-mac-keyboard-mode-maps, please?

Thanks for helping.

Regards,
Jürgen.