[OS X Emacs] German quotes in Aquamacs 2.4

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:23:25 EST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:25 AM, Jürgen Fenn wrote:

>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings
>
> David, thanks for the hint, I will give it a try later.
>
> I perfectly understand what you are trying with Aquamacs, but what it
> lacks most is a simple switch in the options menu where you can click
> on "go back to standard Emacs behaviour". Could you please introduce
> this switch? I think it would be greatly appreciated by many users.

Three reasons:

1 Aquamacs is comprised of changes to the core (C code), changes to the Emacs Lisp code, changes to the default configuration and additional packages.  While some of it can be switched off, much of it can't, leading to inconsistent and hard-to-document results if you switch off arbitrary parts.

2 Distributing a binary package captures zero innovation.  Zero.  No contribution.  I'm not interested in maintaining it.

3 In my experience, users forget that they actually wanted some of the behavior, and ask to get it back.  In your case, it is AUCTeX.

Finally, there is a customization group that lists most of the Lisp-level configuration changes so that users can easily find and change them.  One more thing:  copying and pasting the code from the link above in your Emacs configuration is already pretty convenient, is it not?

> Sorry I forgot to say that I had already switched to "Option & German"
> and "Right option is Meta", to no avail.

Yes, but if you switch to "Option for composed characters" and "Right Option is Meta",  the left Option key will do what it does elsewhere on the Mac.  Do we need to update the manual?  Let me know.

> Where can I find emulate-mac-keyboard-mode-maps, please?

The patch I made for your contains the full pathname of this file, which you can find in the Aquamacs source code (available via Git) and also in the .app bundle with every binary.
You can also use the terminal's "find" command or the Finder's Spotlight search to find the file.

Because it may require compilation etc etc., I thought I'd check in the change so that the nightly builds will pick it up in a few hours.  That's more convenient for you.  After the builds have been made, get a binary at http://aquamacs.org/nightlies.shtml .