[OS X Emacs] distinguishing various flavors of emacs in elisp

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jan 15 14:53:27 EST 2012

Am 15.1.2012 um 20:34 schrieb Richard Cobbe:

> I've been running an install of "Emacs for MacOS X" (apologies; not sure
> what the technical name for this build is, but I mean the one from
> http://emacsformacosx.com/), and I've recently switched to an AppKit build
> of 23.3b that I did myself, with help from David Reiter and Peter Dyballa
> -- see the thread late last month on this mailing list about displaying
> Devanagari correctly.

The foreign one is the ns variant, your own is the mac variant – according to the variable window-system.

BTW, you don't need to grep, GNU Emacs has string-match and similar functions built-in.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs

P.S.: I have ~/.emacs as my init file and also ~/.emacs_nil, ~/.emacs_ns, ~/.emacs_mac, ~/.emacs_x – the last word in the file names is taken from window-system. This way my central ~/.emacs file is quite small and easy to maintain – and so are the "out-sourced" special additions. My code is:

	(load (format "~/.emacs_%s" window-system))