[OS X Emacs] aquamacs texlive update

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 10:21:35 EDT 2013

On Aug 26, 2013, at 9:01 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> When you are using the MacTeX installer tool to install MacTeX, then it should prepare the correct paths to search for the binaries and for the manual pages. Aquamacs should be able to pick up those settings. When it fails to do so, then you have the option to uninstall TeX Live 2008.

As far as I remember, TeXLive, when choosing one of multiple installed distributions, creates symlinks from /usr/texbin to the binaries.  That's what Aquamacs prefers.
The code that finds the binaries is this (in auctex-config.el):

(mapc (lambda (path)
	(setenv "PATH"
		(concat (getenv "PATH") ":" path))

	(add-to-list 'exec-path path 'append))
      (append
       ; prefer TeXLive installation
       '("/usr/texbin")
       ; in case /usr/texbin is missing
       (reverse (sort (file-expand-wildcards
		       "/usr/local/texlive/20*/bin")
		      'string<))
       ; over older teTex.
       (reverse (sort (file-expand-wildcards
		       "/usr/local/teTeX/bin/*-apple-darwin-current")
		      'string<))))