[OS X Emacs] best version control system to use with Aquamacs?

Peter Salazar cycleofsong at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:14:29 EST 2013

I'm a book writer—no programming, only prose in text files, mostly in
org-mode, some in markdown-mode.

I want to implement a version control system for my writing projects.

I work with two types of text files:

1. drafts (textfile-v1.org, textfile-v2.org, etc)
2. research files (research-notes.org)

The latter, the research files, consist of hunks of text I have copy and
pasted from the web. My workflow for the research files involves going
through those files and deleting as I go. In other words, when I find a
quote, I might copy it into a draft file, then delete the quote. This is my
way of knowing what I have already processed or not. So that by the time
my research file is blank, I know I'm done. When the research file is
blank, I delete it so I know I'm done.

For both these uses—writing multiple drafts, and destroying research files
as I go—it strikes me that having a version control system would be
helpful.

I am NOT doing different branches as I go—just forward as I make progress
writing my book.

I'm using Aquamacs. Which version control system would you recommend, and
how would I go about integrating it with my Emacs workflow?

Thanks!