[OS X Emacs] best version control system to use with Aquamacs?

René Jansen rvjansen at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 8 15:27:31 EST 2013

Hi Peter,

I would recommend git - even if you will be only using a small portion of it. There is already good integration in Aquamacs. I use it for everything. I have used rcs, cvs, svn, librarian, cmvc, pvcs, visual sourcesafe, panvalet, and others. There is none better, faster and more pleasant to use than git. It starts here: http://git-scm.com

Your drafts will be versioned and it will enable you to see its complete history, and for every line when it was entered - if you colliaborate, also by whom. Your binary assets will disappear from your workspace as before, but there will be safekeeping in the version management repository.

An added bonus is that when you put a git repository on a server, you can close it fast to every machine you work on. I work routinely on a number of machines, using OSX and Linux, and I can restart work from every one of them - even new machines- in a matter of seconds

Git will also enable you to work - versioned - only locally on one machine.

For me, at the moment, there is no alternative.

Hope this helps ...

best regards,

René Jansen.