[OS X Emacs] Enriched mode - save to RTF?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:48:06 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I really want to be able to edit text (prose, not bullet points) and mark up some words (not just whole lines as headings) with M-o i (for italic) or M-o b (for bold), etc.

I can easily export this via "Copy to HTML", and import into Word - it's a simple copy&paste.

As a built-in functionality in Aquamacs, using some OO/LibreOffice converter is not an option unless I can easily include it in Aquamacs.  The PanDoc thing would work great as a workaround (it's not too big), but it can't reached EnrichedText, and
won't produce RTF (though .docx is a common alternative).

There are some "MS Rich Text Format support functions" for XEmacs out there (dated 1999), which can export to RTF, but they do not work with current Emacs 24, even after some work.  No import either.

What we need is a Emacs-native solution that exports and imports a common format for formatted text, making and interpreting fontified Emacs buffers.  The export function would be analogous to `htmllize'.

- David