[OS X Emacs] Enriched mode - save to RTF?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 10:43:39 EDT 2013

On Jul 25, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Tobia Conforto <tobia.conforto at gruppo4.eu> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to use an actual WYSIWYG word processor and convert to/from Markdown as needed?

Sure, and I do this on occasion, but a lot of things work very well for me in Aquamacs (or Emacs).   A lot of key bindings that I find useful aren't available in Pages or Word, and even trivial things like saving to a new file with C-x C-v requires using a lot of mouse clicks.

There is something to be said for concentrating on content than on layout at the writing stage.  Some writers even like a distraction-free full-screen mode. The distinction between writing and layout has been proposed many times; HTML is probably the most famous example.  Even MS Word has a "draft" view.

But this does not mean that bold or italic emphasis, or heading formatting, which actually carry meaning, should be deferred to the layout stage.