[OS X Emacs] Building Aquamacs from source

roadie roadie at zenroadie.org
Tue Aug 12 21:21:30 EDT 2014

I hope this works, I edited the subject of the list digest to reply. Forgive me if this post goes walkabout.

> Hi Roadie,
>
> The build script is pretty much what we?re using to do the nightly builds.  Take a look at nightly-build.sh.
> This works for me and others on new installs.

> If temacs is missing, something else went wrong earlier.  Check the error messages.

To clarify: I cd’ed into ~/src/ and did a full checkout:
 git clone git://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs.git

then cd’ed into aquamacs-emacs and did:

sudo ./build-aquamacs

I searched the build log for ‘temacs’ and these lines came up:

rm -f etc/emacs.tmpdesktop
cd src      && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make  clean
rm -f temacs core *.core \#* *.o libXMenu11.a liblw.a
rm -f ../etc/DOC
rm -f bootstrap-emacs emacs-24.3.92
rm -f buildobj.h
rm -f globals.h gl-stamp
rm -f *.res *.tmp
rm -f emacs-*.*.* emacs
rm -rf deps

….

make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2
[ -r "src/config.in" ] || ( cd . && autoheader )

….

make[1]: Circular bootstrap-emacs <- temacs dependency dropped.

….

/bin/sh: ./temacs: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2
there are a few warnings from ImageMagick which configure says emacs is using btw. and also:
 error ("Failed to launch default browser. Error %ld", XINT(status));

so maybe I am just doing something wrong? Or could the compiled Gnu Emacs.app (not self-contained) that is linked in
via homebrew (/usr/local/Cellar/ emacs/24.3/) be a problem?

> As for your modifications:  ImageMagick should be no problem.  Building a non-self-contained Aquamacs: you?re in new territory there.  I don?t see anything in principle that prevents this from working (with the right adjustment of paths here and there), but Aquamacs was not designed to support this.
>
> - David

I will leave that for laters :)  I am very happy with the aquamacs I have running via dmg. Thank you for your work.