[OS X Emacs] Killing tab kills buffer - setting?

José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 15 14:11:58 EST 2014

Hi,

Sorry for having sent this to the wrong list.  I agree it is not a bug.  It is however, in my opinion, somewhat inconsistent behaviour.  Allow me to explain.  Killing the buffer when closing a tab would make sense if every buffer had its own visible tab.  This happens in other applications such as browsers or even the finder in Mavericks,... but this is not the case in Aquamacs.  The are many buffers which never appear as tabs: some because they are generated internally (such as log buffers from AuCTeX), others because even when one visits them, they get lost in the course of editing, switching buffers,...  Hence looking at the tabs there is no clear indication of which buffers are present in any given emacs session.

Anyway, I'm back at work and hence I can see that the variable in question is  delete-window-preserve-buffer, which I've set to 't' and problem solved.

Cheers,
	José