[OS X Emacs] Unabel to debug error: "Symbol's function definition is void: screen-width"

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Sat Mar 15 22:02:05 EDT 2014

On Mar 15, 2014, at 6:43 AM, Sriram Karra <karra.etc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently downloaded the latest version from the aquamacs site. There is some problem in my configuration that is causing the error mentioned in the subject line when I try to use the mouse scroll button or press C-v.
>
> Even more strangely I am unable to trigger the debugger by setting (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> The value of debug-ignored-errors is ("^Invalid face:? " beginning-of-line beginning-of-buffer end-of-line end-of-buffer end-of-file buffer-read-only file-supersession user-error)
>
> Version: Aquamacs 3.0a GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00) of 2014-01-21 (Aquamacs-3.0a) on watson
>
> I used to use an earlier version of Aquamacs and faced no such issue with the same config files.
>
> Any clues on how (a) why the debugger is not triggering and (b) what happened to screen-width variable and who is looking for it?

screen-width was superseded by frame-width several Emacs versions ago.

A quick Google search for the error message showed that old versions of JDEE (the Java development environment) calc both had that problem for a while.

screen-width seems to have been scrubbed from the default Aquamacs installation.

Did you start Aquamacs with —debug-init so that you could enable debug-on-error before loading any of your configuration?

Hope this helps.

 - Win