[OS X Emacs] how to change cursor in aquamacs (whose default cursor I hate)

Mark H. David mhd at yv.org
Sun Mar 23 02:40:45 EDT 2014

I like Aquamacs pretty well, but one thing I hate is the default cursor.  It’s tiny and red, and I just cannot see sometimes.

I tried figuring out how to change it to what I’d like several times, and I was not successful.  Can someone just give me a way to do what I want?

What I want: I would just like the standard gnu emacs cursor behavior:

  non-blinking
  in selected buffer: very wide solid black rectangle (text "under" cursor shows through in reverse -- "xor'd”;
  in unselected buffer: very wide outline of a black rectangle (text/background "under" cursor shows through the interior of the outline)

That’s about it.

When I’ve tried going to Preferences … in Aquamacs, and I search for ‘cursor’, it presents me with more than a page of choices.  I’m lost.  There seem to be various worlds: X, Cua, regular emacs.  I’ve tried various things, but I cannot really remember what I’ve done, but it’s not been successful. I’ve managed to get some of the things, but not all of the things I want (above).

Thanks if anyone can just give me the way to do this straightforward thing, at least as I see it.

-Mark