[OS X Emacs] Synchronizing customizations/preferences/configs between computers

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Mon May 5 07:22:09 EDT 2014

Hendrik, hello.

On 2014 May 5, at 12:06, Hendrik Visage <hvjunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I constantly runs in this problem that I made change on my desktop,
> my laptop or my home computer, and/or then installs a new machine and
> then missed the changes I've made elsewhere.
> [...]
> What method(s) are others using for this? especially when
> (re)installing a machine?

I address this by having a (Mercurial) repository of 'dotfiles', which contains my .zshrc/.bashrc, my .emacs.d folder, .exrc, and so on

My real ~/.zshrc (or ~/.bashrc if it's a machine I only use bash on) is then something like

# Bail out immediately if we're not interactive
if [ -z "$PS1" ]; then
    return
fi
# Environment variables I'd like to be global
export C=/checkouts/me
# ... and other machine-specific setup
# then
. /checkouts/me/code/dotfiles/zshrc

Similarly, my ~/.emacs.d directory contains a init.el linked to /checkouts/me/code/dotfiles/emacs.d/init.el, plus some machine-specific bits and bobs. It usually takes just a few minutes to do that setup on a new machine.

Using the DVCS means that I can share that setup between machines in a reassuringly controlled way.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk