[OS X Emacs] Synchronizing customizations/preferences/configs between computers

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Mon May 5 07:25:41 EDT 2014

Hendrik Visage <hvjunk at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
>  I constantly runs in this problem that I made change on my desktop,
> my laptop or my home computer, and/or then installs a new machine and
> then missed the changes I've made elsewhere.
>
>  If I make use of DropBox/OwnCloud for file synchronization between
> computers, what wouldbe the best method to have these
> changes/customizations/preferences synced between the computers?
>
>  What method(s) are others using for this? especially when
> (re)installing a machine?

Many are using git and github for their dotfiles. See
https://github.com/technicalpickles/homesick for an interesting tool to
make it easier and
http://rocu.de/manage-and-share-your-dotfiles-with-homesick/ for an
example setup, or
http://blog.smalleycreative.com/tutorials/using-git-and-github-to-manage-your-dotfiles/
for what seems to be something similar, just home-made.

I haven't used them yet, but are planning to do so.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Thanks
> Hendrik