[OS X Emacs] How to rebind the "recentf" key (C-x C-r)?

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Tue Jan 27 12:16:28 EST 2015

David Reitter <david.reitter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> In this case:
>
> (global-set-key "\C-x\ \C-r" nil)
>
> unbinds the key just fine for me.

Same here.

> And this
>
> (global-set-key "\C-x\ \C-r" 'find-file-read-only)
>
> works well, too, at least when executed from my scratch buffer.

Same here. It doesn't matter whether I use `global-set-key' or
`define-key' together with `current-global-map'. I chose the latter,
though, because the former issues a warning about replacing an existing
binding -- even though that's exactly what I intend to do here.

> Can you confirm that the above won’t work from Preferences.el?

It does not work as intended.

If I /reevaluate/ the forms in Preferences.el after initialization is
complete, the binding works, and I suspect that it "works" just as well
the first time Aquamacs loads Preferences.el; the problem is that either
something else happens /after/ loading Preferences.el that overrides my
binding, or, as I suggested originally, that the key map targeted the
first time Aquamacs loads Preferences.el is not the "correct" one.

--
Steven E. Harris