[OS X Emacs] aquamacs startup problem

Marc Shapiro -- at work marc.shapiro at acm.org
Tue Mar 24 05:13:38 EDT 2015

> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 06:54:58 -0400
> From: David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X Emacs] aquamacs startup problem
>
> On Mar 23, 2015, at 5:05 AM, Marc Shapiro -- at work <marc.shapiro at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem.  Starting up Aquatics will either bring up a window or hang forever, apparently randomly.
>>
>> A couple of observations, which may or may not be relevant:
>> - Hang occurs also without startup files.
>> - The same problem occurs with ordinary Emacs.
>> - Occurs extremely frequently on a MacMini 2011, hardly ever on a MacMini 2014.  In other words, seems to be related to the computer's speed (a timeout somewhere?).
>> - Seems to occur more frequently on a MacMini with multiple screens, or if I move window focus.
>
> This is valuable.

Thanks David for looking into this.

> But,  what is necessary to reproduce it?

Nothing, it's random, as far as I can tell.

> Are there settings, procedures that are different, or perhaps a different OS version, on of the Mac Minis?

All running 10.10.2.  My MacBook Air, also under 10.10.2, does not exhibit the problem.

> Does deleting Library/Preferences/org.gnu.Aquamacs.plist  help?

I tried starting with the -q option; it didn't help.   Doesn't this ignore all preferences including the plist?

Attached is a screenshot of the contents of my ~//Library/Preferences/org.gnu.Aquamacs.plist file.  Nothing notable.  There is no /Library/Preferences/org.gnu.Aquamacs.plist.

I can test this if you wish but it would require taking my old MacMini out from storage...    Please let me know if it's worthwhile.

(This Aquamacs problem is one of the reasons why I switched to a newer machine.)

				Marc