[OS X Emacs] aquamacs startup problem

Peter West lists at pbw.id.au
Wed Mar 25 01:01:08 EDT 2015

This might have something to do with the startup environment.

Apple stuffed around with the environment (via launchd and launchctl) in the Yosemite release (as well as completely breaking dig and nslookup and who knows what else.) Bravo Apple!

The really irritating thing is that they got it working very well in Mavericks.  It was possible (with some fiddling about) to set up the bash environment to match the background user process environment from which GUI apps are run.  Something about that has changed with Yosemite.

For instance, I have GO_ROOT and GO_PATH set up in both environments (or so I thought.)  If I start IntelliJ Idea, the Go support looks for these environment variables.  No problem.  However, if I shut down or log out with Idea running, on restart Yosemite will restart the IDE, and that process throws errors about those envvars not being defined.

For background on my struggles with PATH, see http://codepulsive.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/setting-environment-variables-in-os-x.html

Peter West
Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.