[OS X Emacs] New command line tool: emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Jun 21 15:45:36 EDT 2016

Pete Siemsen <siemsen at ucar.edu> writes:

> Mac OS 10.11.5. My path includes/usr/bin. I can easily run
> /usr/bin/emacs and get Emacs version 22 in a Terminal window. The
> beginning of this thread described the issue: having a way to get a
> more recent version of Emacs than 22, in a Terminal window.

1- Install MacPorts, from https://www.macports.org/
   https://www.macports.org/install.php

2- sudo port install emacs

This installs emacs 24.5.1 in /opt/local/bin/emacs

Or download, compile and install it yourself with a single line in the Terminal.app:

VERSION=24.5 ; wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-${VERSION}.tar.gz && tar zxf emacs-${VERSION}.tar.gz && cd emacs-${VERSION} && ./configure && make && sudo make install

This installs the latest emacs 24.5 in /usr/local/bin/emacs

The advantage of downloading and compiling your own emacs is that you
can adjust the configuration, passing the parameters you want or need
for your specific case.