[OS X Emacs] New command line tool: emacs

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 19:45:30 EDT 2016

> On 22 Jun 2016, at 00:12, Pete Siemsen <siemsen at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks to Mike and Pascal, but we're talking past each other :-) The last thing I want to do is install yet another Emacs.
>
> David's initial post was meant for people who may sometimes need to run Emacs in a Terminal window. Those people can use the "emacs" command that comes with OS X. Trouble is, they'll get Emacs version 22, which is old. If you're reading this list, you have Aquamacs, so you already have a better Emacs installed. David described a new way to start Aquamacs, so that it's compatible with running inside a Terminal window.
>
> My post was about problems I had getting it to work.
>
> I have MacPorts, so I could easily install a newer version of Emacs. I don't want to consume the disk space, but much more importantly I don't want more copies of the .el libraries, more paths to manage, having to make my startup files work in all versions, etc. I'd much rather just make the "emacs" command run Aquamacs, as David suggested.

I saw more or less the same as you did Pete. After installing the command line tools from Aquamacs-nightly.tar.bz2 dated today, there was no emacs in /usr/local/bin but there is an emacsclient dated yesterday which reports its verson as 25.0.95. Being more foolish than brave, I pursued its request for starting up a server (M-x server-start from inside Aquamacs) and I got my current scratch buffer up in terminal, although it needs lots of magic spells to display nicely.