[OS X Emacs] Touch-bar?

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Mon Nov 21 11:45:37 EST 2016

I’m glad that David raised the question and is thinking about how the Touch Bar might
be useful. Since it’s physically in the keyboard row where function keys went, it seems
that it could be useful in keyboard use—certainly different than trying to jump to the mouse.

I also think we won’t be able to tell how useful it is until we can explore using it and see
what people come up with. So it seems worth exploring, and we can learn something from
it.

One of the really interesting things about having support for it in Aquamacs is that we
can experiment with it much more quickly and easily as a community than developers
for software who have a much longer cycle for user feedback for something like this,
although one can also imagine that it’s possible for utilities like Keyboard Maestro and
Better Touch Tool to provide some interesting capabilities (or not; I don’t know how
Apple may have restricted the programming interfaces).

 - Win