[OS X Emacs] Touch-bar?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 10:17:47 EST 2016

Juergen,

That’s a fair suggestion, but how are you going to like Emacs without a Meta key?
The Esc key is gone, as is Fn.
Alt/Option is needed on pretty much all non-English keyboards that I know of for any programming work.

Providing discoverable shortcuts specific to the application or situation is, I think, precisely what the touchbar is meant for.  As a minimum, we’ll need Meta.  I could imagine M-x as well.

If someone wants to implement this, I can offer a few hundred $$ from donations for a feature that exposes a Lisp interface like for tool bars, and allows modifier keys to be shown.  The above is trivial, then.  (Scrolling in a buffer would be nice, too.)

- David

--
Dr. David Reitter
Assistant Professor of Information Sciences and Technology