[OS X Emacs] trouble with ediff? or standard behavior? (was: trouble with ediff after updating Aquamacs)

M. Erik Husby mhusby at broadinstitute.org
Thu Oct 6 10:46:14 EDT 2016

Just thought I'd mention that running Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and
Aquamacs 3.3 ediff works as expected.

The little ediff control window appears near the upper right corner of the
Aquamacs window. Focus is there so that I can make use of the keyboard.

I tested in both normal window mode and in full screen mode.

I am sure it would be helpful if you provided the version of Mac OS X you
are running.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Thomas Käufl <kaeufl at online.de> wrote:

> > Am 06.10.2016 um 00:49 schrieb David Romano <dromano at stanford.edu>:
> >
> > Sorry, somehow triggered Send by accident.  To pick up where I left
> off:  The difference between Emacs for OS X Modified and Aquamacs is that
> in the former, C-x C-b splits the screen so I can navigate to the control
> panel buffer, but in Aquamacs it has no effect.
> >
> > In any case, I'd love to know what 'standard' behavior in comparing
> buffers is when it comes to automatically generating a control panel
> window, and if automatic generation *is* standard, I'd love to figure out
> why neither of these flavors or Emacs is behaving this way.
>
> I just tried ediff on two buffers in Aquamacs 3.3. Same
> here. No window with the control panel appears. The buffer
> containing the control panel is listed in the window menu.
> After selecting it appears in the frame just selected
> (provide the „show Buffers in New Frames“ is not selected).
>
> The Gnu Emacs (24.5) does not show this behaviour.
>
> As the control panel is necessary to visit the differences
> of two buffers, it seems to me, that there is an error
> in the new version of Aquamacs.
>
> Thomas Käufl
>

> > Thanks,
> > David Romano
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM, David Romano <dromano at stanford.edu>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I posted this in relation to Aquamacs, but I just tried Emacs for OS X
> Modified, and get the same behavior, so I'm not sure where upstream the
> source of the behavior may be.
> >
> > To recap, if I try to compare to buffers with ediff, no separate control
> panel window appears.  This was the behavior I was used to in an older
> version of Aquamacs, but in the current version, no control panel window
> appears, despite it being listed in the Window menu.
> >
> > In Emacs for OS X Modified, I get the same behavior, but since I haven't
> used it before, I don't know whether it was ever the standard behavior.
> >  The difference between Emacs...Modified and Aquamacs is that in the
> former I can access the control panel manually by navigating to its buffer,
> whereas in Aquamcs
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:58 AM, David Romano <dromano at stanford.edu>
> wrote:
> > Yes, what's strange is that the control panel isn't hiding behind any
> other windows, but is nowhere, despite being listed as a frame in the
> Window menu.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 10:34 PM, Christian Kirsch <ck at bru6.de> wrote:
> > This buffer usually appears in its own small window which might be
> positioned behind the main aquamacs window.
> >
> > Am 05.10.2016 um 02:22 schrieb David Romano <dromano at stanford.edu>:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I just updated from a pretty old version of Aquamacs (and haven't
> absorbed what differences I might expect to find) and am having trouble
> getting ediff to behave as I had expected:  When I try to compare buffers
> [...]

---
Erik Husby
Senior Software Engineer I
Broad Institute
Rm. 2195, 320 Charles St, Cambridge, MA 02141-2023
mobile: 781.354.6669, office: 617.714.8443
email: mhusby at broadinstitute.org