[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Meta key

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Sat Mar 11 20:56:39 EST 2017

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:51 AM, 7stud <7stud at excite.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> About every half hour when I'm using Aquamacs, I (mis)type a key sequence, and my Meta key, which is the default Option key, changes to "Option for composed characters", which can be seen in in the Auqamacs menu bar under:
>
> Options > Option, Command, Meta keys > Option for composed characters
>
> Thereafter, every time I hit a Meta key sequence, e.g. M-p, a mathematical symbol, e.g. pi, gets entered into the buffer--rather than the emacs key sequence doing the expected operation.  This is very irritating.  Is there a way to permanently set the Meta key to my Option key? I don't want anything I type ever to be able to change which key is the Meta key.

I know that a mysterious behavior can be confusing, but the good news is that you don’t need the Aquamacs implementors to do anything.

My guess is that sometimes you are hitting the key Control-; by accident sometimes. Nothing wrong with that; it just happens to do something that you don’t want. Fortunately, you can change this behavior yourself.

If you create a file called .emacs in your home directory, just put the following line in it and restart Aquamacs:

(global-unset-key (kbd "C-;”))

This is some Emacs configuration that removes the key action from the C-; combination.

Best,
Win