[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Meta key

Jean-Christophe Helary jean.christophe.helary at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 21:08:35 EST 2017

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 10:48, 7stud <7stud at excite.com> wrote:
>
> I still believe  the default should be that the Meta key can never change by typing anything--if you want the Option key to serve multiple functions, you should have to add something to your Preferences.el.

You get things the wrong way.

OPTION on Macs has a clearly defined function and it is *not* META.

META is a key that does not exist on modern keyboards and it is usually assigned to ESC.

Some people didn't like ESC as META so they tried to use OPTION but found that it conflicted with the original design. Hence the various settings that still allow Aquamacs to behave the Mac way when necessary.

I'm using emacs and Aquamacs with ESC as META and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Jean-Christophe