[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Meta key

Jean-Christophe Helary jean.christophe.helary at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 17:50:45 EDT 2017

>> There is already a META, it is ESC, so start with Option as the OS default and the first time Option is used, ask whether the user wants to keep it as the OS default or as Meta.
>
> How do we change this now without confusing all established users?

By not overriding existing defaults. Established users either already have a setting in .emacs.el, or use C-; to switch or use the OS preferences to change their mod keys. I don't see how that would confuse them, and if they really are *established* users informing them of the change would go a long way to help them fixing the thing if it were to become an issue.

> I would probably want ns-right-alternate-modifier to be Meta by default.  The left one could be normal.

As I wrote earlier, all keyboards do not have a right Option key.

Jean-Christophe