[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 3.4 / failed TSL connection to Melpa

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Aug 2 15:14:33 EDT 2018

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 17:35:53 +0200
> From: Michal Ramsza <michal.ramsza at gmail.com>
> To: macosx-emacs at email.esm.psu.edu
> Subject: Message-ID: <9DDB70A6-AC1C-48CC-83D5-2E0F8E0A14FD at gmail.com>
>
> I recently moved to Aquamacs 3.4. I have not change any preference
> files or anything else related to Aquamacs. Now, when I try to connect
> to Melpa I get a failure
>
> Opening TLS connection to ?melpa.org?...
> Opening TLS connection with ?gnutls-cli --x509cafile nil -p 443
> melpa.org?...failed
> Opening TLS connection with ?gnutls-cli --x509cafile nil -p 443
> melpa.org --protocols ssl3?...failed
> Opening TLS connection to ?melpa.org?...failed
> package-install-from-archive: Could not create connection to
> melpa.org:443
>
> What can I do with this?
>
> Best regards,
> Michal Ramsza

I had this same problem, I think.  To make connections work I had to add
these two lines to my emacs configuration:

(require 'gnutls)
(add-to-list 'gnutls-trustfiles "/opt/local/etc/openssl/cert.pem")

That's because my gnutls comes from MacPorts, and it puts the necessary
certs file in /opt/local.

That got me back to connecting to melpa, but I never figured out how to
connect to Marmalade, and just gave up on it.

Hope that helps