[OS X Emacs] Directory for loading ESSR

Braun, Michael braunm at mail.smu.edu
Fri Dec 14 12:51:35 EST 2018

When launching an R process via ESS (M-x R), I get the following Emacs message:

load ESSR: + + + Error in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
  cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
  cannot open file ’/Users/dr/Nightly/master/aquamacs-emacs.git/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/ess-mode/etc/ESSR/R/.load.R’: No such file or directory

It appears somewhere in the Aquamacs build process, the directory path on the builder’s computer is not replaced, as my user name is not “dr”.  Thus, Aquamacs cannot find ESSR.  This is causing problems with using the help functions in R.  For example:

> ?mean
Error in .ess.help("mean") : could not find function ".ess.help"

The problem occurs when I use either the stable 3.4 version of Aquamacs, or the latest nightly build.  ESS version is 18.10.2, although I had the problem with 18.10 as well.  Not sure if it matters, but the latest ESS is a Melpa version.

Any suggestions or fixes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael