[OS X Emacs] Problem with key-description in Aquamacs 3.4

Mark Bestley gnus at bestley.co.uk
Fri May 31 11:29:08 EDT 2019

David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> writes:

> On May 27, 2019, at 4:01 PM, Mark Bestley <gnus at bestley.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I have come across another package that assumes keyb is the inverse of
>> key-description. This is treemacs. It does this to get the keys that
>> have been bound to its functions and then displays them in a hydra (a
>> menu showing keys and what they do). This does seem to make more sense
>> than the slime case.
>
> In that case, shouldn’t key-description work as is?  The package shouldn’t assume a specific set of modifiers, of course.

key-description is fine. In this case with more debugging I find that
Hydra does not recognise ⇧⌘⌥ and so misprints them. I have worked round
the simple case by adding those three symbols to hydra-key-regex but I
don't think that is a complete fix but enough to use now. It does make
more sense than the SLIME case as it is looking for valid keys and
processes them and Aquamacs adds ones that other Emacs will never
produce.

>> Is ns-use-mac-modifier-symbols an Aquamacs specific variable?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so should keyb be adjusted to accept the nicely formatted key
>> description.
>
> Hmm, do you mean key-binding?

Sorry I meant kbd which drills down to edmacro-parse-keys but that
affects keyboard macros so opens a new can of worms.