[OS X Emacs] Spelling problems with Aquamacs 3.5 on macOS 10.15

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Thu May 21 17:25:32 EDT 2020

> On 21 May 2020, at 21:48, Win Treese <treese at acm.org> wrote:
>
> On May 15, 2020, at 3:20 PM, John Hosack <hosack410 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using Aquamacs 3.5.
>> After "upgrading" to macos 10.15.4 my spell system
>> stopped working correctly. In particular,
>> if I select aquamacs/Edit/Spelling/Spellcheck Now
>> I get: "Don't know how to make a localized  variable an alias";
>> if I select aquamacs/Edit/Spelling/Mark all mispellings
>> I get: Buffer has no process
>>
>> Any suggestions on this?
>
> Hi, John. I couldn’t reproduce this on my system. Do you have any personal configuration that might affect the spelling setup? Does it happen if you start Aquamacs without any customizations? You can do that from the Aquamacs Help menu->Diagnose and Report a Bug->Try Aquamacs without customizations. This starts a new instance of Aquamacs without quitting the one you are using.
>
> Best,
> Win

I had something similar back in March.
Spelling stopped working in everything, not just Aquamacs. It turned out that the the whole OS had started turning its nose up at English (United Kingdom) [ise-w_accents] (Aspell).

Falling back to British English in System Preferences → Spelling → British English fixed it in Aquamacs and everywhere else.
I don't remember seeing John's error messages, but it is an easy thing to try.

Elliott Roper