[OS X Emacs] latex + dvips + ps2pdf from Aquamacs

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 11:38:05 EST 2020

Hi Pete,

It's nice to hear from you!

I would prefer to hear from Win and others, who have been working on and
with the new Aquamacs.

I'm somewhat suspicious whether this is a matter of PATH. For years, we
haven't had to do anything about PATH, and I do not know anything about it
with the new macOS.

It seems to me that it's something about the settings of Aquamacs / AUCTeX,
because ps2pdf is reached finely by other ways of typesetting:

- In Terminal, the command ps2pdf (ps2pdf file.ps file.pdf) works and
creates a good pdf from a ps file.
- By TeXShop [latex + dvips + ps2pdf] works excellently, by the following
command, out of the box, set in its Preferences by the developer:
In TeXShop Preferences > Engine:
TeX + dvips + distiller
LaTeX command is:
simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-file-line-error -synctex=1"

Typeset runs this command automatically in a single swap, by placing the
following code at the beginning of a file.tex
% !TEX TS-program = latex
- Everything is up to date on my Mac:
macOS Catalina 10.15.17
Aquamacs 3.5
/usr/local/texlive/2020

Win, perhaps it would be a good idea to add the command simpdftex in
upcoming updates of Aquamacs?

In old Aquamacs that didn't have preset commands for (latex + dvi +
ps2pdf), Enrico Franconi gave some instructions on how to do that, which I
used.

Best Regards,
Roussanka