[OS X Emacs] latex + dvips + ps2pdf from Aquamacs

Wolfgang Giere W.Giere at t-online.de
Mon Jan 4 13:51:12 EST 2021

Ich habe online mit paypal ezahlt. Das ging einfach.

Plaip Xsunt!

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [OS X Emacs] latex + dvips + ps2pdf from Aquamacs
Datum: 2021-01-04T18:15:26+0100
Von: "Braun, Michael" <braunm at mail.smu.edu>

I know we are getting a little off-topic here, but I found this response
quite helpful in resolving some misunderstandings I had. So I would like to
ask some clarifying questions, mostly related to login vs non-login shells,
and interactive vs non-interactive shells.

If I understand correctly, the “best practice” would be to put PATH
variables in ~/.zshenv, and then let path_helper do its thing.  Then, any
changes in the order of the paths for login shells can go in ~/.zprofile.
In that case, the PATH would be available pretty much everywhere, since
anything spawned from the MacOS desktop (Aquamacs, Terminal, etc) would
always be treated as a login shell (since I need to log in to get to the
desktop). Non-login shells would get the PATH from ~/.zshenv, but not the
changes from ~/.zprofile. Do I have that right?

What else should go in ~/.zshenv ? I would think that environment variables
that will rarely change would go there.  For example, I am a heavy R user,
so should  ~/.zshenv should include R_HOME, R_PROFILE, etc.?

I am still a little confused about interactive vs non-interactive shells.
When I launch an interactive R session from Terminal, or run a batch R
script from the command line, I can see zshrc is loaded.  Also, if I launch
an Aquamacs session from the command line (launching the GUI), zshrc is
loaded.  But clicking on the Aquamacs icon in the Dock, zshrc it is not.
Is this because everything spawned from Terminal is interactive, but
anything launched from the desktop directly is not?

Thanks.

    On Jan 2, 2021, at 3:10 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at math.fsu.edu