[OS X Emacs] How to get flyspell to check spelling as I type?

Stephen Anderson sra at yale.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:48:48 EDT 2021

For some time I have been having a good deal of frustration with flyspell in Aquamacs. I’m a poor typist, and I rely on having dynamic spell correction to avoid masses of hard-to-recover typos. When I type text in Aquamacs (3.5), the mode line identifies modes “LaTeX/FPS Fly (Default) BCite Ref Abbrev Fill”, but typing things that shouldn’t appear in the default dictionary (“en”) almost never results in a flag (underlining). Frustratingly, this does very occasionally happen, but I have no idea of what’s going on.

My ancient ~/.emacs file includes this code:

(autoload 'turn-on-bib-cite "bib-cite")
(autoload 'flyspell-babel-setup "flyspell-babel")
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'flyspell-babel-setup)
(setq flyspell-babel-to-ispell-alist
         '(("french" "francais")
           ("greek" nil)))

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda ()
                             (turn-on-reftex)
                             (turn-on-bib-cite)
                             (TeX-fold-mode 1)
                             (setq ispell-parser 'tex)
                             (flyspell-mode)
                             (abbrev-mode)
                             (LaTeX-install-toolbar)))

There was a time when this seemed to work, although it’s been so long since I set this up that I have no idea whether it’s the right way to do things.

Anyway, I will be extremely grateful if someone can show me what I need to do to get flyspell to work as it should, consistently.

Thanks,
—
Steve Anderson