[OS X Emacs] How to get flyspell to check spelling as I type?

Mark Bestley gnus at bestley.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 13:43:25 EDT 2021

Stephen Anderson <sra at yale.edu> writes:

> For some time I have been having a good deal of frustration with flyspell in Aquamacs. I’m a poor typist, and I rely on having dynamic spell correction to avoid masses of hard-to-recover typos. When I type text in Aquamacs (3.5), the mode line identifies modes “LaTeX/FPS Fly (Default) BCite Ref Abbrev Fill”, but typing things that shouldn’t appear in the default dictionary (“en”) almost never results in a flag (underlining). Frustratingly, this does very occasionally happen, but I have no idea of what’s going on.
I don't use LaTex, and I only write in English  so don't know the details.

But a main reason I use Aquamacs is that it integrates with Apple's
spell checking infrastructure at the C level and that is turned on in Aquamacs

So for a first attempt I would remove all references to flyspell in your init.

The look at the Menu and under Edit there is a submenu Spelling. Choosing things there should set things up.

--
Mark