[OS X Emacs] How to get flyspell to check spelling as I type?

Stephen Anderson sra at yale.edu
Tue Jun 8 16:56:20 EDT 2021

Different (key)strokes for different folks, I guess. I’ve been using various versions of emacs for nearly 40 years, and I rather like the flyspell interface. What I found was that it didn’t play nicely (for me) with NSSpellChecker as the engine. I got it to work with aspell by (a) downloading, configuring and installing current versions of aspell and the dictionaries for languages that concern me (English, French and German: there are many, many others); and (b) adding the following lines to my .emacs:

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
(setq ispell-is-really-aspell t)

It’s pretty good about not flagging LaTeX commands (although it does spell-check cite-keys, labels and references).

I haven’t gotten flyspell-babel to do what I think it should (change dictionaries locally on the basis of a guess about the language in a section of text), but flyspell itself works as it should, and I can change the dictionary manually (with M-x ispell-change-dictonary or the Menubar Edit>Spelling>Change Dictionary). Probably I’m overly optimistic about what it’s capable of.

—
Steve