[OS X Emacs] How to get flyspell to check spelling as I type?

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 17:52:28 EDT 2021

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 10:56 PM Stephen Anderson <sra at yale.edu> wrote:

> Different (key)strokes for different folks, I guess. I’ve been using
> various versions of emacs for nearly 40 years, and I rather like the
> flyspell interface. What I found was that it didn’t play nicely (for me)
> with NSSpellChecker as the engine. I got it to work with aspell by (a)
> downloading, configuring and installing current versions of aspell and the
> dictionaries for languages that concern me (English, French and German:
> there are many, many others); and (b) adding the following lines to my
> .emacs:
>
> (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
> (setq ispell-is-really-aspell t)
>
> It’s pretty good about not flagging LaTeX commands (although it does
> spell-check cite-keys, labels and references).

I haven’t gotten flyspell-babel to do what I think it should (change
> dictionaries locally on the basis of a guess about the language in a
> section of text), but flyspell itself works as it should, and I can change
> the dictionary manually (with M-x ispell-change-dictonary or the Menubar
> Edit>Spelling>Change Dictionary). Probably I’m overly optimistic about what
> it’s capable of.

To have several languages in one .tex file, and  spell these languages,
without having to change the spelling dictionary in preferences. It looks
to me, that Apple has put in macOS such a possibility, but it doesn't work
well with NSSpellChecker & ispell:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Spelling > Automatic by Language

The idea is that the spell checker would guess words based on searching
through the lists of the dictionaries. Indeed the dictionaries are a lot,
and large. That is for the programs, and programmers, to handle effective
algorithms. I can't get this even for a single language: Bulgarian.
I do not know how to get aspell together with NSSpellChecker. For many
years, I was very happy with cocoAspell on the macs that I've had. About a
year ago, I saw on Leuski's website for cocoAspell, who developed and
maintained cocoAspell, that there was an update. I followed the
instructions on how to do that, the first one being to uninstall the
previous version (probably, v.2.5), I did that, and then the update
disappeared.  Now, he has some files of cocoAspell-master on GitHub. I've
been trying for the last days to install that, and haven't managed.

Now, I use the default NSSpellChecking & ispell. It works quite well for en
and en_GB and correctly recognises LaTeX commands, in Aquamacs. But there
are the occasional misspelled words, that ispell can't recognise as such.

I would like to get aspell, and it seems that the onlybway for now is to
try to install cocoAspell v.2.5, which is inthe TeX directory. Is there
another way to use aspell on Macs?
Regards,
Roussanka