[Mac OS X TeX] Text Editor, spell checker, and TeX engine interoperability

Enrico Franconi franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 29 06:28:52 EDT 2001

Text Editor: emacs under X11, with personalised AucTeX macro package.
Spell checker: ispell
TeX engine: teTeX
Previewer: Carbonized Acrobat reader or Classic Acrobat 5.0

All of the above are perfectly integrated.  First of all, there is
NOTHING in the Mac environment better than emacas a text editor, in
particular for LaTeX files. The interface may seem crude wrt a Mac
program, but is is very effective. Moreover, there is a group working
on a Cocoa version of emacs 21; when it is ready, nobody can complain
about emacs! LateX commands and preview commands are embedded in
emacs. With one single button I LaTeX, dvips, pspdf, and Acrobat Read
in one shot. The only missing feature is synchronisation.  But there
is an open source group working on it. The other interesting feature
is that I use the very same stuff in my Linux box.

cheers
-- e.

Enrico Franconi                     - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester            - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
Department of Computer Science      - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
Manchester M13 9PL, UK              - Fax:   +44 (161) 275 6204

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.