[Mac OS X TeX] GW's teTeX (Comments and Questions)

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Dec 13 19:54:07 EST 2001

On Friday, December 14, 2001, at 12:46 , Alexandre Enkerli wrote:

> By the way, the putting the fink "source" statement in .login didn't
> work for me. I ended up having tex not finding the .fmt files seemingly
> because of this. After putting the source statement in my .tcshrc,
> everything worked again.

This is a dangerous sign. If sourcing the fink init makes your tex work,
I would suspect something wrong. Are you sure you are actually using my
distribution?

Note, that if you install my distribution, a login and logout is
sometimes needed to get the environment right.

Note also that if you use TeXShop, the environment is handled separately.

And not finding the .fmt files is really weird.

I would suggest first and foremost to remove
/usr/local/teTeX/{bin,share/texmf,share/texmf.macosx,texmf.cnf} and
re-install the last non-beta. There are problems with the latest teTeX
beta release and they might have to do with TeX's own path mechanism.
For instance, fmtutil does not work as it should on my system.

> One thing I'd like changed with the installation. Unless I'm doing
> something wrong, the tex-related info files don't show up in the main
> info node. They can be accessed through "info
> --directory=/usr/local/teTeX/info/" but it'd be nice to have them at
> the top.

I never use info, so you have to tell me what exactly the problem and
the solution is (do this off list).

> Now for the questions. I think they're specific to the MacOS X
> distribution but I could be wrong.
>
> I'm slightly confused. Which texmf.cnf (if any) should we change? The
> one in /usr/local/teTeX/, the one in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/, or the one in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx/?

The second is the orginal one from teTeX. De third contains my
overrides. The first you mention is a symbolic link to the third. If you
change anything, change /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf (first make it a copy
of the one in texmf.macosx). A new install from my Installer will
overwrite that one, but safe the old one for you to reinstall.

> Which config file(s) should we modify when we add font map files? Is it
> a good idea to use updmap? Is there a more convenient way to add map
> statements?

The problem with updmap is that it is purely local. This means that if
you want a locla version you have to copy the entire dvips/config
directory to texmf.local, run updmap in that directory, etc.

I have found it cleaner to add stuff through different .map files. For
pdfTeX that means editing texmf.local/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg and for
dvips, I add the map file as an argument to altpdftex. See how I handle
the bbold fonts created with textrace (Ttbbold.map).

> I managed installing fonts by putting modified config files in my
> ~/Library/texmf tree (dvips/config/config.ps and
> pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg). Is this a good method?

Yes if you know what you are doing. If you want to share that with other
users on the same system, use /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local instead
of ~/Library/texmf

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.