[Mac OS X TeX] msttfont.tar.gz

Lawrence C Paulson Larry.Paulson at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 11:41:30 EDT 2001

Thanks, Ross!

> Did you put them correctly into your texmf/ tree,
> or into another tree and adjust  texmf.cnf to look there ?
> Then run  texhash ?

Yes.

> Also, did you realise that any  .TTF  or  .ttf  files are not the real
> TrueType fonts ?  They are at most symbolic links. You have to get the real
> files for yourself from the font foundry and adjust the links, if necessary.

Maybe I need to convert the Classic Mac font files such as Arial into .ttf
files?  (But see below.)

> Also you must edit either:
>
>   ..../texmf/pdftex/config/standard.map
> or
>   ..../texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg
>
> to read  msttfont.map .

OK.

I did a number of experiments.  There were still messages about missing
metrics for font ec100 (? why doesn't TeXShop let you cut and paste from the
console?), also maths typesetting was completely wrong.  Both these problems
disappeared after I ran pdflatex (once) from the command line.  The console
still reported the font files as missing, but the previews looked perfect, and
Acrobat Reader reported the correct fonts as being used.  However, I think it
was finding them in MacOS, not in the PDF file itself, for when I exported the
files to another system, the fonts were no longer present.

Sadly, Mac OS X seems to provide no means of converting PDF back into
PostScript.  If it did, probably a final run of Distiller could be used to
insert the fonts into the PDf file.

If anybody is curious, see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~lcp/tmp/mutil-*.pdf.  If
you have the fonts installed on your Mac, I expect they will display properly,
and otherwise you'll get Adobe's Multiple Master fonts instead.

I don't really need all this now, just curious.
--
Larry Paulson

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.