[Mac OS X TeX] GUI for teTeX settings, etc.; ideas from NeXT?

Troy Goodson Troy.D.Goodson at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 16 11:23:41 EST 2001

<x-flowed>At 3:56 PM +0100 11/16/01, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>Sadly, the docstrip stuff is not standardized and often you need to
>follow specific instructions in a readme to be able to compile tex
>packages from docstrip sources and install. There are also no
>standardized places, nor standardized items to do. There are only a
>few who at least upgrade properly by locating existig instances
>first.
>
>That is the reason why I do these things by hand, and then add them
>to my distribution, to spare other people the setup.

I didn't know the situation was quite this bad.  OK, How about a
LaTeX package manager a la fink?  Essentially, this is a set of
package-by-package rules for installing packages.  Basically, we
novice users depend on and trust the power users to write the rules.
The payoff is that novice users don't have to become power users to
simply install a package.  Of course, there will be some 'rare'
packages that it doesn't know about and it the rules it has will
always lag new releases of packages, but that's still better than me
having to figure out the arcane rules of package management.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.