[Mac OS X TeX] pdf causes 10.1 to crash

V. Vatsal vatsal at math.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 2 11:41:45 EST 2001

<x-flowed>Folks,

I recreated the problem PDF file using each of the following three methods:

i) gs 7 on a Unix box
ii) Distiller in Classic
iii) macps2pdf on OS X, which I downloaded specially for this purpose:
thanks to Tom Kiffe.

In each case, the PDF file could be opened and printed with TeXShop.

I am inclined to think therefore the problem resides in the version of
ghostscript 6 that is included in the teTeX which comes with TeXShop. I
understand that there are other problems with gs 7 and quartz, but gs 6's
ability to generate PDF which causes automatic logout and a system crash
seems rather serious to me.

I have put the ps source at http://www.math.ubc.ca/~vatsal/files/test.ps in
case anynody wants to test this.

-- Nike V.

--On Friday, November 2, 2001 4:29 PM +0100 Martin Costabel
<costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote:
> []
>> I recommend that you install the latest Ghostscript that you can find;
>> at least gs 7.0  if you are going to go the  dvi --> ps --> pdf  route.
>
> I had problems with ps2pdf and ghostscript 7.0 (some symbols like "ff"
> or "-" had wrong spacing) that disappeared after going back to gs 6.01.
>
> --
> Martin

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.